Marriage licenses are issued by Knox County Probate Court. The court is located at 111 East High Street in Mount Vernon, Ohio. The office is open between 8:00am and 4:00pm. The applicants will be asked to complete an information sheet. You can obtain this form at the bottom of this page. The application for a marriage license is $60, payable in the form of cash or check; to Knox County Probate Court. The marriage license is valid at the time it is issued and for the next sixty days.
The following conditions must be met:
- Both parties must be present.
- One of the parties must be a resident of Knox County. If both parties are out of state residents, but are being married in Knox County they may obtain a license.
- Both parties must be over the age of 18 (If one of the parties isn't, please contact the court for specific instructions.)
- Both parties must have photo ID
- If either party has been married before, the following documents need to be presented:
- The Final Divorce Decree - this must be signed by the Judge
- Death Certificate
After applying for and receiving your marriage license, the following steps need to be followed:
- The minister or person performing the ceremony shall fill out the bottom portion of the license, stating the date they performed the ceremony, and return it to Probate Court in the envelope provided.
- About one week to ten days after the marriage, one of the parties sould come back to Probate Court to obtain a CERTIFIED COPY of their marriage license. This is the document that Social Security requires to change the applicant's information. The cost of the certified copy is $3.00. Out of town residents should mail a request for a certified copy of their marriage license and enclose $3.00 along with a self-addressed, stamped envelope to the address of the court listed below.
- Fill out the applicant's information on the Application of a Social Security Card (Form SS-5). The form is available online at www.socialsecurity.gov. If you do not have access to the internet, please contact the Court and arrange to pick up a form. Attach a certified copy of the marriage license to the form and mail it to the following address:
Social Security Administration
125 Derby Downs Road
Newark, Ohio 43055
If you should have a question, please feel free to contact this office.
Knox County Probate Court
111 East High Street
Mount Vernon, Ohio 43050